“Not being tense but ready. Not thinking but not dreaming.
Not being set but flexible. Liberation from the uneasy sense of confinement.
It is being wholly and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come.” -quoted by Bruce Lee
It’s been one of those types of Mondays, you know the type. Everyone is asking for something, all at the same time, and all of them are “very important”. And, that may be true, but since I can only do one thing at a time, someone(s) will have to wait. But, no one wants to be the one that waits. Funny how that happens.
It’s not always easy to put on that happy, smiley face, when things are going a bit on the crazy side. But it is expected, which makes it even harder, and stressful. I do not do stress well. I can, but when I’m dealing with a few stressful situations, and needy individuals all at the same time, then the stress level goes higher and then I’m no longer a happy little camper.
So here’s a few things that I do to try and remain calm, so that way I’m not yelling at anyone, or calling them names.
- Deep breaths and counting to 10. I really do this, and it helps. In fact, I did this right before I started to write this post. I close my eyes, take a deep breath in, count to ten, and release. I may have to do this more than once, but it does help to get me grounded.
- Walk. Even if it’s just around the office, or in a break room. If you can go outside and walk, that’s even better. I try and get up from my desk at work and walk around, even if it’s only for about 50 steps. Then, when I get home, I can walk on the treadmill and listen to some music or nature sounds. This really helps me to release any tension that has been building.
- Pet my cats. If you have pets, like I do, having them sit with you, and just petting them for any length of time can also be very calming. Especially when one of your pets really enjoys being petting, like mine. They might stay with me for 20 mins, and it’s a win-win for both of us.
- Disconnect. What I mean by this, is exactly how it sounds. Don’t call or take any calls. Avoid social media. Tell you sweetheart that you’ll get back to them later. Disconnect from the world that is driving you nuts, and give yourself a break from it all. There’s nothing wrong with needed this at all!
- Get a massage! Now, if you can afford to go and see a certified massage therapist, by all means, do! But, if you’re like me, and just want a “cheap but still decent” massage, then go to your closest nail spa or mall, and try out those massage chairs they have. I just got my nails done yesterday, and for one hour, I got to have a wonderful massage in one of those chairs, I loved it! So I went home afterwards with pretty red nails, and a lot less tension in my lower back!
Is it always possible to do all of these things? No, but you can do at least one of two of them. Nothing is more important than taking care of your own personal state of mind. We need to learn to become more aware with what our own needs are, and not always worry about everyone else around us. There are those types of people that can only think of themselves, and they will never care if you’re tired, or overworked, or stressful. That’s just the way some people can be. But don’t let these time of people, or situations steal your inner peace and joy.
I’m always looking for new ways to “pamper” myself, especially after a rough day at the office. From the moment I leave, and get into my car, I’ll start to try and get out of a funky mood, and into a much happier one. Sometimes, its music by The Talking Heads, or sometimes it’s the sound of rain. And if that doesn’t do it, then I listen to nothing. No music, no sounds, only the thoughts in my head.
Now, today started off really busy for me at work. One issue popping up right after another. I could have easily, easily had gone off on someone, but decided not to do that, and instead, I reached deep inside myself, and kept my cool. It wasn’t easy. There’s still a few hours left of my work day, so I’ll try hard to remain like this, but it’s not going to be easy!!
I know that I need to find more time to relax, and to meditate. I tend to hold onto tension in my shoulders a lot. So, don’t be like me. Find time to relax, find yourself a peaceful spot, and go there as often as needed.
We all need our own, private little Zen thing in our lives. Just remember, breath.